Today, I want to chat about something that’s super important to all of us: finding the right balance between giving and receiving. And maybe balance is the wrong word…maybe it should about managing the scales.
As women, we’re natural-born nurturers and givers. It’s just in our DNA. We pour our hearts into taking care of the people we love, whether it’s our family, friends, or even our co-workers. But here’s the thing: we never ask for anything in return, we often forget to give ourselves the same love and care we give to others, and then we either feel burned out or we lash out.
So, picture this: a world where it’s totally okay to ask for help without feeling guilty. A world where expressing our needs and desires doesn’t make us weak, but actually makes us stronger. Well, guess what? That world starts with us, right here, right now. We have the power to rewrite the rules and redefine what it means to be strong, independent, and an empowered women. Where we can give, but we also deserve to receive too. Also, I understand that we are all in different journeys of our lives…so maybe reflect on your life and see all the things you could have been receiving, and perhaps now its time to give. Or, reflect back and see how much giving you’re doing, and now it’s time to receive.
I believe these two things, giving and receiving, tend to be heavy on one side or the other, and perhaps we just need to manage the scales and adjust when the time calls for it.
Here are a few thoughts to help you manage the scales and embrace the art of giving and receiving:
1. Remember your worth! You are absolutely deserving of love, care, and support. Just as much as anyone else. So, don’t forget to prioritize yourself and your needs. It’s not selfish—it’s self-care. And when you believe in your worth, amazing things start to happen. Of course, helping others can also feel like your nourishing yourself too, in a self-care way, but make sure you’re filling your cup too. You deserve it. I just want you to be cognizant of how much you give, and whether you’re depleting your resources causing you to feel tired.
2. No more superhero cape, okay? You don’t have to do it all alone. Seriously. It’s time to let go of the idea that we have to be perfect and invincible. We’re human, after all! So, when you need help, don’t be afraid to ask for it. And when someone offers their support, accept it with gratitude. It’s a sign of strength, not weakness. Maybe just like you, they want to give too. So share the wealth a little. 😘
3. Surround yourself with your squad. Seek out people who uplift and inspire you. Build a community of folks who are all about that giving and receiving vibe. Self-care doesn’t mean you need to be lonely. Together, you can create a circle of support that nourishes and uplifts everyone involved.
4. Embrace your vulnerable side. I know, I know—it’s not always easy. But opening up and sharing your struggles and dreams can be a game-changer. It creates a safe space for others to do the same. It’s in those vulnerable moments that we deepen our connections and forge meaningful bonds of trust.
5. Pay it forward! When you receive support, pass it along. Share your knowledge, wisdom, and resources with others. Be a source of inspiration and encouragement for those who need it. By giving, you continue to nourish the cycle of mutual exchange and support. It’s like spreading good vibes everywhere you go.
So, let’s remember that it’s not just about giving until we’re empty— Or, it’s not receiving until people no longer want to give…it’s about allowing ourselves to receive the love, care, and support we deserve, and giving in a way that we can manage the scale and still feel uplifted.
Keep shining, beautiful souls! I wish you well on which ever side you’re on, in the giving or receiving scale…